Thursday, February 2, 2012

Monet

Monet's Camille on her Deathbed


Monet

The top two selected works are by Claude Monet. I found these images to be absolutely breathtaking. I decided to show one dark piece and one light piece from the two artists that I chose (Monet and Turner). The painting to the right called Camille on her Deathbed was quite moving to me. I love any sense of darkness that an artist can convey; especially one that was personal to the artist.  One can see his agony through the colors as his wife faces a long and arduous death. Its dark grays, whites, and blacks mesh well with the idea of another world to come. The painting following  also by Monet was simplistic in that it illustrates peace. I adore the woman with what I assume to be her child. This is a type of painting I would love to put in my family room. The brightness of its colors are almost maternal. I adore the red flowers among the greens, blues, and whites.

Monet's Mohnblumen
 Turner

The last two pieces are by Joseph Mallord William Turner. I fell in love with these paintings because of their power to move me. The colors conveyed in both are polar opposite but they give me the same effect.  The top painting of the sea is so filled with depth—its bright moon shining among the darkness. The below painting reminds me of a street in my hometown, California. I can actually feel the sun setting on a warm and sensational day. It almost feels like a dream.

Turner's Mortlake Terrace
Turner's Fishermen at Sea

1 comment:

  1. I love Monet and Turner. Good choices.
    Your conversation about the works is good. You're drawn to content. (an observation!) As you begin to collect works that you're drawn to, your definition of what art is will be clearer. Good!
    9 points

    ReplyDelete