Wednesday, April 11, 2012


9.11 Memorial Site
The Saturday before Easter Sunday my sister and I took a trip to view the 9/11 Memorial Site. It is now available to the public via online where you can reserve a free ticket. Our visit to this beautiful memorial was not a pleasant one. I found it very difficult to tolerate the numerous tourists and people posing in front of the names that should have been respected and quietly viewed. In my mind, there should always be a level of respect and mindfulness not only for a memorial (and what disturbed me the most) but the actual site of the horrendous event of that day. There were parents allowing their young children to mess up the rocks that surrounded the future tree spots and letting them climb over the memorial names, just to name a few. I was frustrated to say the least because of how emotional I was simply being there. I did not know anyone personally who passed away on that day; yet it did not take away the amount of love I had for all those strangers who prove everyday that everyone is connected. The memorial itself was beautiful and is still a work in progress—I could only imagine how wonderful it will be in the fall time. The two waterfalls are the imprints of both towers with each name to its respective places of passing. It was a windy spring day and the water did a wonderful effect; it would spiral in a circular motion within the footprints and even a few rainbows were visible. I sat on one of the benches to simply take in the site and pay my respects. I wish everyone had done the same.










1 comment:

  1. When I've been there it was quiet... maybe because it was a week day. Interesting that your experience was so different.
    What did you think of thee memorial itself? beautiful, yes?
    9 points

    ReplyDelete