Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sofia Coppola

Marie Antoinette 
by
Sofia Coppola 


I was incredibly excited to write this blog about this film. IT IS PERFECT FOR THE STUDY OF VISUAL AESTHETICS. While the content and story line of this film is hardly correct to history, that is irrelevant to the beauty of the films' color and scenes. Sofia Coppola the daughter of Francis Ford Coppola (director of the Godfather) has the style of a true artist. 

Marie Antoinette was almost hypnotizing to watch. Everything from the costumes to the scenery to the wine to the food...amazing. Coppola filmed at Versailles, France (which I have had the blessing to visit in High School) and after seeing the amazing palace in real life I felt she captured the essence of Versailles beautifully. I even brought the film with me to Europe because Sofia Coppola set the standard of how I should feel about this magnificent and luscious place. It is amazing what a film can accomplish. I have attached a couple of YouTube clips of the film to completely understand what Sofia Coppola did for me and achieved as an artist. I personally believe this film was underrated as a visual movement combined with contemporary music and sounds.

A scene in the movie that I SIMPLY LOVED was a clip where Marie Antoinette is lazily relaxing in a boat with her friends in her personal garden. The scene is filled with light and nature; I desired to be there in that place and time. 

http://youtu.be/cLJ1vuUWprA

http://youtu.be/Mn3tu3ZxCjw





No comments:

Post a Comment